Dare I say…it is almost winter. Although we still have some time before it is officially winter the temperatures are dropping fast and my skin and body are noticing! Here are 5 tips to help keep your mind body and soul up to par during the winter season and chilly weather.
5 Tips for Winter Wellness
- Eat Warm, Cooked Foods: Don’t get me wrong, I love smoothies, but in the winter my body craves warm, cooked foods. Try to stay away from smoothies/salads and instead head towards steel cut oats, quinoa, soup and cooked veggies. Your body will be grateful.
- Dry Skin Brushing: Helps aid in smooth skin while increasing circulation. Purchase a natural bristle (soft) brush and do this right before you hop in the shower. Always brush towards your heart and be extra careful around sensitive areas. You can find natural bristle brushes in Whole Foods and most pharmacies.
- Abhyanga (Oil Massage): Perfect to do right after dry skin brushing and before a shower. This also helps to increase circulation, supports softer/smoother skin and helps you sleep better at night! You can use cold pressed, chemical-free organic Sesame oil for this. Heat the bottle a little under running warm water first. Apply the oil to your entire body, scalp to toes, and let it soak in for about 5-10 minutes (perfect time to get some meditation in!).
- Coconut Oil instead of lotion: I like lotion in the summer but in the winter I love warm coconut oil. Use any organic coconut oil. Scoop a small amount out and heat it a little. Normally if I put it right by my shower, the steam is enough to heat it and make it liquid. As soon as I am done showering, I cover my whole body in a light layer of coconut oil. It makes my skin feel so amazingly soft!
- Aromatherapy Bath: A warm bath on a cold day, does anything sound better? Add some Lavender and Eucalyptus essential oils to your bath! Lavender is great to help fight the winter blues and Eucalyptus will help clear your sinus and winter sniffles.
Have a question? I have answers! Email me your deepest, darkest, burning questions about anything related to wellness and I will post a blog answering it! Don’t worry — your identity will be kept secret! Bring on the questions!