Sometimes life can feel like you’re on repeat. Just doing the same things day in and day out, just moving through the motions of life. Here are 7 ways to try to change that!
- Change Routes. Morning commutes can be downright horrible. I know I have at least an hour drive to work each morning, and that’s on a good day. To mix things up every once in a while, I’ll take a different bridge into the city or try a different route to work. It’s a different view, different scenery. An easy way to mix things up every once in a while.
- Use your time wisely. Speaking of commute, I try to use that hour drive to work as a way to learn something new or inspire myself. Which is why I choose to listen to podcasts instead of the radio. I love Tranquility Du Jour, Girlboss Radio, Politically Re-Active and my new favorite The Land of Desire: French History & Culture.
- Start saying No. How many times a month do you commit yourself to doing things that you really don’t want to do. You only say yes because you feel obligated to do so. Your time is valuable so start treating it as such. Start saying no more and don’t feel the need to give a long reason why. Just say “no, I’m sorry, I’m not available”. It’s that easy.
- Start saying Yes. This is not a contradiction to number 3. Start saying no to the things you don’t want to do, so you can start saying yes to the things that get you really excited. Say yes, but say it because you really want to.
- Don’t plan so much. When we over plan things, they can start to feel mundane. There is so much excitement and exhilaration in the unplanned. Take a day, go to your nearest city and just explore. No plans, not itinerary, just walk and go wherever you want to go. I love doing this in NYC. I pick one area in NYC and just walk. If I pass a store that looks interesting I go in, if I’m feeling hungry, I grab a bite to eat. Something fun and unexpected always happens, and if I would have planned my route I would have missed it.
- Step out of your comfort zone, get scared. We must always be testing ourselves and pushing ourselves outside of the box. How boring a life would be if we played it safe all the time. Remove the box you’ve created and push yourself outside of your comfort.
- Try something new. Cook a new recipe, try a new makeup style or a new hairdo. It doesn’t have to be extravagant, but try something new. Mix things up a bit.